Friday, April 13, 2012

Duping/scamming still possible?

[:1]Hi,

I've heard about people duping items (especially runes) and scamming in trades on Battle.net. A friend of mine told me this was common back in the days, but that was years ago. I believe I have two questions:

1) Is it still possible to dupe items, like runes? Has anyone here actually experience so-called "poofing" of items in the current patch and ladder?

if yes...

1a) When do these items "poof" ? After you leave the game, after you disconnect from battle.net, or what?

1b) What kind of items where they?

1c) If the items are runes, and if you use the runes right away in a socketed item, does the entire item disappear, or can you save yourself from poofing by using possibly duped runes right away?

NOTE: I am **NOT** asking *how* to dupe, nor do I wish to attempt it!!! I am only asking this because I've recently have been trading some quite expensive things on Battle.net for runes, and I'm getting a little paranoid because of all the rumours circulating....

2) A friend of mine suggested to always ask someone I trade with to "move the items a little", in the trade window. I was told this is to prevent a popular type of scam back in the days. Question here: is this type of scamming still possible to do in the current patch? I sometimes feel a bit ridiculous when I ask people to move the items, and in cases where people do not speak English, this can sometimes break the deal...

I hope it's okay to ask these questions here. Note again that I am simply asking IF these things are still possible - if I should have a *reason* to be paranoid - and **not** asking for instructions on how to do it.

Thanks!|||1) yes, it is possible to dupe

not sure about, ladder, but I guess that if they dupe items on non-ladder, they can do it also on ladder

HRs dont poof any more, because they dupe the lower runes and then cube them to higher ones, but it all depends on the dupers, as far as I know few can make those 'unperm' dupes and in fact noone really knows who the dupers are, there are only resellers, because only few people can duplicate items

1b) items poof after you leave game; let's say you have a duped bugbelt on server ip 63. Someone joins the server with the same bugbelt (there are like 60 servers per realm as far as I remember) - it becomes 'flagged' and will be deleted before you leave game. To prevent this, you can open the trade window before leaving the game, this unflags the item. Sounds stupid, but works, because blizzard had to do it this way, to prevent some scam concerning the trade screen (actually partially the thing you are writing about later)

1c) Im not sure. I know that they dupe the grey items with say 5 runes, and then put the 6th ones to make a runeword (e.g. botd) - so each runeword has an unique number.That's how it worked in past at least; now it's more about rerolling (an I think, importing).

Im not sure if the item ID is on runeword level or on the "grey item" level; I think it is on runeword level, so I would be more worried that the base, grey item is a duplicate (although everyone seems to have those 25/25 FOH sticks and somehow they dont dissapear, maybe blue items dont have unique IDs at all).

Blizzard did a real "search for dupes" (aka ruststorm) once as far as I know and the backslash was gigantic. I dont think they will ever do this again, people would kill them - they dont clean the spam, but somoehow have the resources to do a ruststorm? Looking at the last reset, which failed (either due to people importing; or sheer incompetence of blizzard) I dont think blizz will do anything to diablo.

Maybe some small content patch before diablo3, but I dont think so.

2) that was supposedly fixed

also care if they dont switch the item for some other one that looks the same|||I can confirm that there is a real trade hack. It doesn't matter if they move the item around in the trade screen or not. U see it, can highlight it, accept trade and u will get nothing.|||It appears this guy got scammed through the trade hack thingy. I'm linking his thread here for future reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment