Saturday, April 21, 2012

Diablo 2 LOD Won't Launch

I came to this forum in hopes that maybe you guys could help me out in getting this game working again. I read the common technical difficulties thread, and either I've arleady done what they said, or they don't apply to me. Anyway I used to be able to play this game back in the day, but now it seems it won't work. I had a similiar problem with starcraft, but I set my resolution really low, and it fixed the problem, tryed that with d2..and no fix.

I installed both diablo 2, and LOD without a problem, I haven't tryed the standard diablo 2, but I've been trying to start LOD, and its not working. I own 2 cds of LOD, and neither work, so I highly doubt its the cd (plus it let me install the game without a problem). Like I said, I haven't tryed the standard diablo 2, but I am fairly sure it will just give me the same problem.

Anyway, here is the problem. I put the cd in, the game pops up (or I use the game icon) to try and launch the game, and it does nothing. The little hour glass pops up for a split sec, and then nada... My computer then begins to go extremely slow as if it was trying to launch a game, but regardless of how long you wait, nothing happens. I end up having to restart my computer to rid it of the "slowness" created by trying to launch D2.

My operating system is windows xp, and my video card is Nvidia (not sure which nvidia, not really a computer knowledgable guy). Anyway, have any of you heard of this kinda problem? I can't get into the game at all, it will not launch, there is no error message, no pop up thats something is wrong, no black screen... nothing! It just shows the little hour glass mouse icon for a split sec, like its trying to load the game. Then computer goes really slow, and the game never launches.

Can anyone help me get this game running again? Thanks for any help!!|||Have you tried to run the D2 Vid Test thing in the installation directory, and changing it 2D? Also, check to see if game.exe is running in the processes. If it is, you should be able to kill that without having to restart the entire computer.|||Yes it ran the video test without a problem, and when it was done I selected my nvidia card.

And no, I didn't switch it to 2d, that has to be done manually? And that may be the problem? If so, how do I switch it to 2d. Thanks!|||run D2VidTst.exe -> run tests -> select DirectDraw (2d) -> ok

if that doesnt work, try patching to the 1.12a

http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/diablo2e...Patch_112a.exe

and if that doesnt work

create a blizzard store acct

https://us.battle.net/account/creation/tos.xml

and register your d2/lod game keys

download and install using the new blizzard keys|||Hmm, thanks for all the info guys! I tryed re-running the vid test, and setting it at the 2d option (originally I chose the 3d option because I didn't know better). Well I keep choosing the 2d option, and hitting okay, and finish, and it keeps showing that I'm still using the 3d Option. For example, I'll run the test, choose 2d, hit ok/finished, then I run test again to see what its on, and it keeps showing that its on 3d, regardless of how many times I choose 2d, it will still show that I have it on 3d after I run the next test.

What do I need to do to KEEP it on 2d? Should I reinstall the game, and choose the 2d option during the first time it asks you to run the test? I don't understand why it won't go off of the 3d option.|||if you pick 2d and ok, it is set

running D2VidTst.exe defaults to autoselect glide over 3d over 2d

to find out what mode it is using

ingame chat /fps

at the top it will say video mode:(direct3d/directdraw/glide)

if you want it to look at its best, try the glide wrapper

http://www.svenswrapper.de/english/downloads.html

then run D2VidTst.exe, test again and seelct glide|||Well I selected 2d and tryed to run the game...and no success. Still gives me the same problem...it simply doesn't start up.

I will now try patching to the 1.12a, and if still no success, I'll try creating a blizz store accnt.

Any more ideas on a solution? Thanks!

I will let you know if patching or creating a store accnt fixes the problem for me.|||Try running it in windowed mode by inputting -w behind the target folder line in the preferences section of D2Lod shortcut.|||Thanks for all the help guys!! I finally got it working, patching it to the 1.12a did the trick. Thanks again, I woulda been lost without ya .

No comments:

Post a Comment