Monday, April 16, 2012

Older Diablo 2 doesn't work on newer PC

Hey everybody - I just installed an older (2000) Diablo 2 on my new Windows XP computer. All of the stats on my new computer far exceed teh minimum requirements of Diablo 2. But wehn I click to play, I get a black screen with a little cursor at the top left and the computer freezes up. It seems to be a video card problem but I've got an nVidia GeForce Go 7400 with DirectX 9. It seems like it should work. I also checked for the most recent driver and I've got it.

The box the software came in said its' for Windows 95, 98, NT. So all I can think of is that it is too old to work on XP...

When I downloaded the Diable 2 sample from the blizzard website, it ran fine, so I'm wondering if the software has changed since 2000

Anyone ever heard of this/ have any ideas

Thanks!

Greg|||I run D2 on XP on my laptop and on my desktop machines. They work fine. Have you tried re-installing. Did you get the updates from the Blizzard site or won't it even do that?|||I think I had the same, or a resembling problem. Diablo wouldn't want to start eventhough al the specs are high enough. the problem was with the video cart or driver.

Anyway, there is a program in the diablo2 folder that gives you the option to chose you video cart or driver or something like that. When I chose the one diablo said to be good, notting worked. But when changing to the other one. This is the one that diablo said to be bad, all worked good.

Perhaps you can try this if you haven't done so already.

Second, Diablo and xp don't go together, on my pc it doesn't. Some program doesn't want to close or something, strange. Anyway, if xp is the problem, can't you chose, run program as ... this might to the trick, though I wouldn't count in it.

You can find this under the properties, right click on the icon.|||Thanks guys - I also talked to the tech support today and they said that installing the PC patch on the blizzrd website should clear up the trick. But, if not, I'm going to try some of the other suggestions you guys had.

Thanks again

Greg|||Yep I had this initially

My solution was to install LOD and if I needed to play classic, just to create a classic character....:laugh:|||Weird. My laptop is an xp platform and I'm using the very Diablo 2 cds I bought in the summer of 2000. Initially I tested classic and it worked fine.|||Hey, I had the same problem. You have to do video test and choose Direct draw 2D. This is because your Gfx card does not have enough shader support. After you choose Direct Draw 2D it should be fine.|||New hardware with insufficient shader support? dont think so.. :) it worked for you because you ran d2vidtest the same i like to suggest to OP. Run d2vidtest then start the game!

FYI installing the latest drivers for your vidcard can also be a very good solution to get the maximum out of your vidcard!|||d2 doesnt use pixel or vertex shaders

but it does use other extensions that most intel cards dont support very well

2d uses directdraw which will give the best performance

3d uses direct3d looks pretty, but has poor performance even with newer machines

glide wrapper is the best for ati and geforce cards, pretty as 3d with preformance of 2d

http://www.svenswrapper.de/english/index.html|||when i reinstall diablo i had problems with colours etc.just it needs time and patience i think in your case its a problem of drivers and definitelly its not problem of xp which is very suit and i suppose most used operating system of dia players...

No comments:

Post a Comment